Age-group triathletes include people of all ages and abilities, united in the pursuit of their own personal finish line.
Whether you simply wish to finish the race as a weekend triathlon warrior or your goal is to aim as high as you can in the amateur world – age-groupers are your people. At a single race, you will meet first time participants, seasoned Ironman athletes and dedicated representatives of Canada who have travelled as part of Age Group Team Canada.
By definition, an age-group athlete or para-athlete is an amateur athlete 16 years or older. Age-groupers are categorized according to gender and age bracket.
Teams & Clubs
Joining a club is an excellent way to get better connected to triathlon – providing opportunities to both give something back and get more out of the sport we love! Click here to go to a page that includes all sanctioned clubs for the 2019 triathlon season.
Each Triathlon Manitoba race event usually includes several of the following race categories. Other race categories (e.g. off-road triathlon, winter triathlon) may be offered at individual events. Check our TriMB Event Calendar for more information.
- Sprint Triathlon (750M Swim/20K Bike/5K Run): Athletes must be 16 years or older by calendar year end to participate in this event.
- Olympic/Grand Prix/Standard Triathlon (1500M Swim/40K Bike/10K Run): Athletes must be 18 years or older by calendar year end to participate in this event.
- Long-Course Triathlon (1900M Swim/90K Bike/121.1K Run): Athletes must be 18 years or older by calendar year end to participate in this event.
- Sprint Duathlon (2.5K Run/20K Bike/5K Run): Athletes must be 16 years or older by calendar year end to participate in this event.
- Long Duathlon (5K Run/40K Bike/10K Run): Athletes must be 18 years or older by calendar year end to participate in this event.
- Olympic Aquabike (1500M Swim/40K Bike): Athletes must be 18 years or older by calendar year end to participate in this event.
- Sprint Aquatbike (750M Swim/20K Bike): Athletes must be 16 years or older by calendar year end to participate in this event.
Triathlon Manitoba Race Series
Triathlon Manitoba supports an annual Triathlon Manitoba Race Series.
A race series is any race category in which there are 3 events in the race year. In each event, points are awarded to Triathlon Manitoba members to determine series winners overall and age-group winners. An athlete’s total race series points is the sum of the race points from his/her 3 best races and a minimum of 3 races are required. The declining scale system helps to avoid ties in total race series points. Race series winners are recognized at the end of the race season. Triathlon Manitoba supports the Race Series in the place of a provincial championship event.
Triathlon Manitoba keeps a list of all previous years’ award winners.
Age-group athletes under the age of 15 can find race information under the Kids of Steel page.
Race Points Scale
|1st place: 50 pts
2nd place: 40 pts
3rd place: 31 pts
4th place: 23 pts
5th place: 16 pts
6th place: 10 pts
7th place: 9 pts
8th place: 8 pts
|9th place: 7 pts
10th place: 6 pts
11th place: 5 pts
12th place: 4 pts
13th place: 3 pts
14th place: 2 pts
15th (and remaining places in age-group): 1 pt
New Public Health Orders require proof of immunization to visit and participate in indoor programming at the Pan Am Pool.
As such, all Swim Program Athletes must bring their immunization card or a digital image on your phone with them to each workout, and are encouraged to bring a piece of government-issued ID to confirm that their identity matches their COVID-19 immunization card.
Swimmers 17 years of age and under will not be required to prove vaccination, but may be required to prove their age, so are encouraged to bring proof of age if possible.
Workouts will again take place on Monday and Wednesday evenings, from 8-9pm. Protocols for the pool are still unchanged from what was in place in the spring:
- Program athletes will use the main entrance, to show Immunization card at the front desk for facility entry
- You need to wear a mask on deck and should bring a Ziploc bag to store it at the pool-side
- You’re asked to shower & leave the facility within 10 minutes of finishing your practice
As Manitoba’s Pandemic Response Level has finally returned to Yellow we no longer require people to pre-register for practices.
If you have any additional questions about the Swim Program, please consult the FAQ below the map or contact us at the office.
- Monday: 8:00 to 9:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:00 to 9:00 PM
- Head On-Deck Coach: Chris Torrance
- A 5-time pre-paid Visit Card costs $50.
- A 10-time pre-paid Visit Card costs $90.
- Visit Cards must be purchased from the coach on-deck prior to a swim workout (cash or cheque payment only).
- Visit Cards will be stamped as workouts are attended
- Do the workouts go year-round? Yes. However, workouts are cancelled on holidays and during Pan Am Pool shutdowns. These cancelled workouts will be announced on our website.
- Are the workouts only for Triathlon Manitoba members? Yes. You must be a Triathlon Manitoba member. If you’re not a member, you can purchase your membership here.
- Can developmental swimmers and kids swim too? Yes. Athletes of all ages and abilities are welcome to swim. The lane assignments keep swimmers of equal ability together, and there are separate development lanes on both Monday and Wednesday. Participants must be able to swim 50 meters comfortably.
- What does a typical workout involve? A typical workout is 60 minutes long. Workouts vary with time of year, but technique, speed, and endurance are all components, and front crawl is usually emphasized as the main stroke. Specific triathlon swimming activities like timed 1500m swims, mass starts, sighting, and head-up drills are included in the workouts to help prepare athletes for the racing season.
- Who is the coach? Head Coach Chris Torrance has a coaching background with both triathlon and swim programs. He was the Head Coach of the UBC Masters Swim club, and an assistant coach with two BC triathlon clubs. He brings great energy and enthusiasm to our Swim Program.
Still to come.
Find out what's new at Triathlon Manitoba.
The official start line for triathlon in Manitoba.